The 2013 Maple Grove Area Garden Tour is July 14th from 1pm to 5pm.
The Maple Grove Garden tour is a free community event open to the public. Don’t miss this fabulous chance to see some of the most thoughtfully designed gardens in our area. All are welcome to enjoy this free, self-guided tour gathering fresh inspiration and information for your own garden. Local businesses will offer special promotions, drawings, and give-aways to visitors.
Each garden will feature workshops beginning at the top and bottom of every hour.
Hennepin County Master Gardeners and unique garden containers created by the Maple Grove Art Center will welcome visitors to each garden.
Feel free to stop at one or all four Garden Tour Locations.
1. Sue and Dave Peterson Garden
8144 Garland Lane N, Maple Grove (just off Dunkirk)
Favorite Flower: Asiatic Lilly
- Great garden“bones”-outstanding hardscape with natural stone throughout the garden.
- Multiple outdoor living and entertaining spaces with natural screening.
- Property offers view of a pond. Repetition of shrubs and perennials throughout the yard create drama with massing and color.15 minute workshop sessions sponsored by Hedberg Landscape and Masonry Supplies & Butterfly Gardens.Workshops: Hedberg’s Lance Ortlepp is honored to showcase Buechel Stone and Bruce McComb presenting How Stone is Formed & Quarried as well as The Best Practices of Building Retaining Walls and Garden Walls.
- Hedberg water bottle to the first 50 visitors!
- Butterfly Gardens will have the Garden Tour Signature Plant, the “Rainforest Sunrise” hosta, available for purchase at this garden at a special low price.
2. LifeGARDEN Community Garden
Lord of Life Church 7401 County Road 101, Maple Grove
Favorite Vegetable: Beets
- Formed in 2010, this garden contains 160 individual plots, each 10’ x 10’, available to rent for $30 per growing season.
- The plot gardeners help care for the communal garden and the harvest is donated to CROSS Food Shelf.
- The communal garden crops include: beans, beets, cabbage, carrots & radishes, corn, cucumbers, kale & swiss chard, melons, onions, peppers, potatoes, summer squash and zucchini, tomatoes, and winter squash.15 minute workshop sessions sponsored by Lawn King Inc.Workshops: Horticulture Expert & Master Gardener Marty Berglund will speak on Harvesting And Preserving Herbs & Veggies. Jackie Vallette Uglow presents Edible Landscaping, Amber Christian presents Effective Companion Planting, and Master Gardeners will present hands-on CompostingDemos.
- Free garden tool for the first 50 visitors!
- **Please consider bringing a non-perishable food item to donate to the food shelf when you visit this garden.
3. Roz Milbrandt Garden
10010 High Bluff Lane, Corcoran (6 miles west of Mama G’s)
Favorite Flower: Canadian Bush Rose
- Grandchildren inspired eight acres of gardens on this property which features multiple specialized gardens connected by paths including a north garden, a memory garden, a sculpture garden, a magic garden, and a large potager vegetable garden.
- Adult-sized Hansel and Gretel Cottage is surrounded by a fantastical children’s garden, wonderland sculptures and a tunnel.
- The stream garden is surrounded by perennial color all year long and creative stonework allows visitors to walk over the stream while it rushes past just inches underfoot.15 minute workshop sessions sponsored by 6ftmama.comWorkshops: Landscaping Expert & Instructor Jay Siedschlaw presents Designing a Garden You Really Love, Lifestyle Creations Founder Bill Osmundson presents How to Bring Life to Your Landscape with Water Features, Master Gardeners present The Children’s Garden and also lead a children’s scavenger hunt on the property.
- Kids are encouraged to see this memorable garden. Please make sure your children wear shoes.
- Seed Packet give-aways for all attendees!
**Please consider carpooling to this garden. Drivers are encouraged to drop visitors off in the cul-de-sac and then park along High Bluff Lane.
4. Lynde Greenhouse & Nursery
9293 Pineview Lane North, Maple Grove
Favorite Flowers: Throughout the Nursery!!
- Inspiring water features surround the garden center along with idea-filled outdoor spaces.
- Family-owned nursery for 100 years growing annuals, perennials, vegetables and herbs on site.
- New this year: see the new water feature and permeable paver patio.
- 10% off your entire purchase at Lynde’s during the tour!
- Featured Speaker, Author, and Minnesota garden celebrity Joel Karsten will present on his New York Times best-selling book Straw Bale Gardening: Grow a garden without WEEDING, without the “heavy lifting” and without getting down on your knees. If you thought the only place to grow healthy vegetable crops was in black dirt, you must attend this presentation. Learn to grow a bountiful garden without using herbicides or insecticides. Learn to plant a wide variety of vegetables, root crops, vine crops, and even beautiful flowers, directly into your “conditioned” straw bales. Any backyard, concrete patio, rooftop or driveway, can become a productive garden space. Learn this revolutionary and easy NEW gardening method to create a beautiful and productive garden, without lifting a shovel and without using soil.
- Additional Workshops feature: The Oilerie’s Owner, Epicure & Olive Oil Expert Terri Chaffer presents Flavorful Olive Oils and Balsamics for Veggies. Lynde Greenhouse & Nursery’s own Joe Annis presents The Benefits of Choosing a Permeable Paver System over Traditional Hardscapes for your Landscape.
2013 Garden Tour co-chairs & Master gardeners:
Jennifer Ebeling (612-812-3043) & MaryLynn KenKnight (612-616-1276)
- Want to volunteer? Click Here to Participate!
- Interested in joining the Maple Grove Garden Club? Click Here to Sign-up.
- Want to show off your garden next year? Click Here to contact Jennifer and Mary Lynn.
- Look for tour updates on Jennifer’s (6ftmama) blog on Patch.com
The 15th Annual Maple Grove Garden Tour Recognizes donations from these generous Garden Tour Sponsors:
Mark’s Lawn Service, Arbor Lakes Dental, Butterfly Gardens, Lynde Nursery, 6ftmama.com, Hedberg Landscape, Dundee Nursery, Lawn King Inc., Malmborg’s Garden Center, The Oilerie, Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply, and The Maple Grove Art Center