In one of my earlier posts last month, I shared my cooking class experience at Kitchen Window. I attended the Spring Mini Pies class. For St. Patrick’s day, I transformed the Spinach and Feta Mini Pies into St. Patrick’s Day Mini Pies.
By muting some of the stronger flavors and simplifying a few steps, it became an instant hit with the kids. Timing was on my side too – green food is easier to persuade them to eat on St. Patrick’s day!
St. Patrick’s Day Mini Pies
- Beat an egg in a bowl to to use for egg wash
- Remove puff pastry from freezer so it begins to thaw
- Set oven to 400
- Chop 1/3 c. Fresh Parsley
- I freeze any extra parsley in a Ziploc
- Saute 1/2 c. onion in a tbs. grapeseed oil
- Add 1 package spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I put mine in a salad spinner)
- Add Parsley
- Add 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Add 1 c. Feta Cheese
- Add 1 c. Parmesan Cheese
- Add 1 c. Toasted Pine Nuts
- Place mixture inside strips of puff pastry
- Mix up a little egg wash
- Brush egg wash around the edges of the pastry and fold shut
- Vent the pie with a knife
- Here are all my extra processed ingredients packaged for freezing: Parsley, Onion, and Spinach Feta Mix
- Here’s the final product.
- Extra pies to freeze for the garden party next week!