In this episode of Still Growing… (SG), I had the opportunity to spend some time with folks who are passionate about the value of a tree inventory.
In the first half of the show, I sit down with the project leader of the Maple Grove Tree Inventory, Master Gardener and Tree Care Specialist Marilyn Arnlund. Tree Inventory Trainers & Master Gardeners Jamie Sledd and Mary Lynn KenKnight share their insights on important aspects of the inventory.
The back half of the show features City Forester for Worthington, Minnesota, Scott Rosenberg, who talks about the devastating impact of the April 9th ice storm on his community’s urban forest as well as the importance of completing a thorough tree inventory.
This episode is valuable for local community members who are looking for a meaningful way to volunteer in our city. Other communities and gardeners will benefit from the tree care advise, information regarding Emerald Ash Borer, the importance of tree diversity, as well as how the Worthington community handled major trauma to their urban forest.
SG502: The Maple Grove Tree Inventory and the Impact of the 2013 Ice Storm on the Worthington Minnesota Urban Forest
In this episode you’ll find out about:
- Important reasons to conduct a tree inventory
- The Tree Inventory App for iPad/iPhone and Android
- How to recognize Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) and the anticipated impact our urban forest
- The value of tree diversity/species distribution in any community
- The Long-Horn Asian Beetle threat to Maples, Willows and other species.
- The role of Ornamental Trees in the landscapes
- Tree Challenges
- Tree Planting Tips
- Master Gardener favorite trees for zone 4
- The Impact of the April 9, 2013 storm on the urban forest in Worthington, MN
Items mentioned in this podcast include:
- Want to volunteer to help with the tree inventory? Click here to find out more about the Maple Grove Tree Inventory.
- Marilyn Arnlund contact information: 763-494-6091
- Hennepin County Master Website
- Maple Grove City Website: www.maplegrovemn.gov
- Scott Rosenberg contact information: 507-372-8665
Question or Feedback?
Please leave a comment below and just let me know how you feel. What do you like about the show? What do you dislike? What kinds of things can I improve on? What do you wish there was more of?
I also appreciate future guest or topic ideas.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below. I may feature your comment on the show!